Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Gromit

It all began on Monday when my dad brought a puppy by for me to see it and give my approval. The puppies final destination would be my grandmothers house to help mend her broken heart from Buddy who died a few weeks ago. I grabbed the puppy and wouldn't let go. I showed everyone at Nucsafe and everyone seemed to fall in love with her just as I did. I almost cried when dad came back to pick her up. He said she had two brothers left at the shelter. After work I called Aaron and asked him to join me in a visit. We got there and there was only one brother left. He looked just like Molly (which she had since been named). They are identical twins. I fell in love all over again and Aaron said no. He didn't say "No, you can't have the dog", but rather "I don't think we should get a new dog, especially a little dog". I couldn't convince him that this puppy would be a wonderful addition. I tried all night, he eased up. In the morning, he still said no. Then, in a last ditch effort he said "I don't think it's a good idea, but I'll support whatever you decide". I went over and bought the puppy.



I took him back to work (and everyone thought it was Molly), but no, I explained this is my puppy. He slept. He threw up. He slept. I thought he was fine - just a little worn down from all the action - I mean puppies sleep a lot. I decided we had better go visit our vet for our well check. They told me he had parvo and it would cost $1,000 to "try" to make him better (a 50% chance he would die anyway). I cried. I couldn't call Aaron because he was at work. I cried. I called my dad and he said what I had been thinking that we couldn't pay that much money to try and make a puppy better when we barely knew it. My heart broke into a million peices and I cried some more. I called the pet store where I got him and they told me to calm down and they would call the shelter, but they didn't think it was that serious. I felt better, I felt hopeful. I took him home and quarentined myself and him. I force fed him water and a little food. He slept and I cried. My friend Patricia came over and we cried together. He got worse. We cried more. He was loosing energy and strength and we could both see it. I knew he wouldn't live through the night. Aaron came home and I was finally able to tell him that I had bought the puppy and now he was going to die. I cried. We fed him more and then went up and scrubbed our skin off with antibacterial soap and went to bed. I couldn't sleep. I checked on him at 3am and he was walking around pooping everywhere (but no vomit). I felt hopeful. I went back to bed. In the morning it was more of the same - walking around pooping, but very very lathergic. He wouldn't drink or eat on his own - so I force fed him some more. The shelter called and said to bring him in that they would pay for the parvo treatment. I rushed him down there. They took one look at him and said he probably doesn't have parvo - he's not dehydrated. They thought he looked fine - just tired. They gave him a dose of medicine and sent more home with me along with some instructions. When we got home - I did as instructed and tried a little dry food with some chicken stock over it - he ate like the wind. He drank like the wind and he went back to sleep. I went back an hour later and gave him some chicken liver and some more broth. I thought he was going to eat the spoon. Since then he has pooped and peed. Still runny poo, but at least it's going through. He's been sleeping a lot, but at least he's eating.



Ok, now that you've heard our saga, I'll introduce you to Gromit (namesake of Gromit the dog from the Wallace & Gromit cartoons - check it out if you're not familiar).

This is the dog that I have fallen in love with and has broken my heart in less than 24 hours.



Oh - he weighs 1lb 14oz (well, that was before the feeding frenzy today)


No comments: